Monday, April 4, 2011

Crafting With the Nieces

My nieces ages 7 and 8 had their spring break for the past two weeks.  Their parents are both going to school and had their spring break the week before the girls.  So Grandma and Grandpa were asked to watch the girls for a few weeks.  I got the privilege of crafting and playing with my nieces when I was around.  Of course, I never did pull out my camera until the day before they left. Sad smile

We have a craft store near by (about 15 miles away) that has crafts for kids during spring break.  We attended three days.  Our first day the kids – my nieces, my daughter, and my son’s girlfriend -  did flower boxes.  My son made a flower for his girlfriend.IMG_2514

Bryce's flower

The second day at the craft store my nieces, my daughter and her friend painted ceramic animals.

IMG_2512

On our last day attending the craft store crafts the girls made design your own flower pots.

IMG_2517

The flower pots came with several inserts.

IMG_2518

We also did some fun projects at home.  Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures.  I bought some “dinosaur eggs” that you place in water and the dinosaur grows and “hatches” out of the egg after several days.  Here are the two blurry dinosaurs that we hatched.

IMG_2506

We made sun catchers. 

IMG_2486

IMG_2482

This was a very frustrating project!  I think that part of the frustration might have been that the cookie sheet didn’t lie completely flat.  The little beads would creep under the metal frame and then continue to spread.

I had to run my son to his school classes, but my daughter finished the project with the girls.  She got an after shot as the sun catchers were cooling.

IMG_2492

Here are the end results.

IMG_2495

This niece got frustrated with fitting the colors into the little areas and finally decided to make a “rainbow” butterfly.  I’m loving the end result!

IMG_2499

IMG_2498

IMG_2500

The girls made masks together.  I tried to take a picture of the end results and couldn’t figure out how to get the masks to stay in position.  Finally grabbed tissue from a tissue box and propped them up.  Not the greatest – a bit of a distraction – sorry.

IMG_2504

And the girls modeling the masks.

IMG_2520

At the very end, we were still pushing crafts.  It was past bedtime on the last night and we started shrinky dinks.

IMG_2537

I didn’t get pictures of the before and after.  As soon as my niece’s were done, I packed them up.  I did take a picture of my daughter’s after the weekend.

IMG_2540

Now on to my biggest pride and joy!  Last summer when the girls visited I tried to teach them to knit.  They brought their needles and yarn for more lessons.  Niece A remembered the long-tail cast on.  As soon as her hands were in position, they just knew what to do.  I had started them both on kitchen cotton to make squares to wash with.  Well, Niece A wanted to make a scarf, and I knew that kitchen cotton wouldn’t get her the results as quickly as her interests wanted.  We got some bulky yarn and off she went!

IMG_2526

IMG_2528

This just makes her auntie proud!  Someone who loves the craft.

Look at how well she’s doing!  Very few mistakes - a great job for an 8 year old.

IMG_2508

She did start my mind thinking.  She said she didn’t get as much done because she went out to play the last few days as the weather was nice.  She said that exercise was more important than knitting, right?  Hmm. . . .

I tried to get a project knitted for the girls before they left, but didn’t quite finish.  Headbands.

IMG_2530

I decided at the last minute that my nieces little sister needed a headband also.  So I guess I’ll send these later this month.  Will post the finished projects with the link to the pattern later.

No comments:

Post a Comment